I made a decision today. I made the decision to fight.

It's been a tough year for me in terms of running. Running has always been a joyous part of my life. But in early June I got in an accident that caused some severe neck pain, and every time I tried running my head would pound. That slowed me down from my normal habit of running. However, I didn't want that to stop me. I tried getting back into it last semester, but felt discouraged because I didn't feel very safe in this city. Two uncomfortable experiences was enough to make me feel that way. As time went by, not in my usual training, let's just say I had lost a lot of motivation. Last night I realized that I was letting the joy of running slip away from me, and I resented even the thought of such. So what did I do? Well, I just got back from running 3 miles straight... and considering I haven't been running regularly, I'm pretty content with that :)

March 2nd I'm going to run a half marathon. That gives me... hmmm... 4 1/2 weeks to work up to it. Ha! Honestly, I don't care if I walk part of it. To me, it's just a matter of not quitting. And that's my only goal.

3 comments:

Noelle said...

Impressive! Even thinking of running 3 miles makes me tired! :-) That's awesome that you're working towards that goal!!

Bonnie said...

agree! my idea of "running" is walking on the treadmill while watching the food network...don't understand putting the words "joy" and "running" in the same sentence. sigh.

Go, Juli, Go!

Harvey Globetrotters said...

That's awesome Juli.

Does Blake like to run. Or any of your roommates? I have a hard time going out by myself to exercise because of safety reasons as well. It's awesome when you have a buddy. I am so impressed that you are overcoming those obstacles. I hope you are able to get some good neck/back care though.
Best of luck and post pictures of your success :)