I couldn't be more proud of him.

Blake was accepted to Mercer Medical School for the fall, and hopefully in 7 (long) years he will be a doctor :-) I am excited for him beyond words. I think he will be a wonderful, wonderful doctor.

So here's the story:

Friday was a horrible day for me. I got out of class and saw that I had a voicemail. I listen, and it was a message from MCG (another nursing school I had applied to, as well as another med school Blake had applied to.) They offered me a spot to begin my program with them, and they told me-- "do you think you can give us an answer by Monday? Classes begin in 3 weeks."

Now for those of you who don't know, I have gone through a long process of waiting and waiting (and hoping) and waiting to hear back from Blake's schools. My top choice was to stay where I am now, GCSU, and for Blake to get into Mercer, which is 30 minutes away. I think we both recognized those schools to be the places we'd be happiest and most stimulated. GCSU has been wonderful for me!

So back to my phone call, I started to fall apart when I heard this message. All I could think was-- "how am I supposed to make a decision not knowing what's going to happen?? What if I turn down MCG, and then he ends up getting in? Then we're 3 hours apart!!" Ultimately, I was feeling frustration and anger in the way that all of this had been coming together. Why had Blake not heard anything yet? It's not supposed to be like this?

I immediately threw on my running shoes and went for a long, angry run. I hadn't run that hard in a long time; it was a literal wresting match with God. I was just pounding out all of my emotions into that asphalt, praying bare-hearted.

Blake was at work, and now back at my house, I knew I needed to talk to someone. I called his mom, and now I laugh thinking how she could barely understand my words. I was a mess. She just listened to me and reassured me that everything will be alright. Well, apparently once she got off the phone she called Blake at work at said, "look, you've got to tell her. She's falling apart."

Blake came home, dressed nicely, asked me how my day had been. Awful. He suggested that we go for a walk. We walked to the center of campus, where there's a huge fountain. Yet again, I cried. All the frustration poured back into me.

And as I was staring into blank space, Blake grabbed my hand and said, "stop crying. I got into Med School."

I went from having heavy eyes and a blank stare, to wide eyes and an uncontrollable smile. I didn't even say anything, just screamed. My first instinct was to jump into the water, so I grabbed his shoulder and pulled him in with me. Ha ha.... his phone doesn't work any more... but it's a good memory?

Blake said he was waiting to tell me in his own time (he's known for almost 3 weeks now), but he couldn't stand to see me like I was. He wanted me to know that everything really was going to be OK. Ahhhhh!!!!!!!!!! I can't stop smiling :-)

I feel like I am living my own dream. I still keep asking myself-- He really got in? I can stay here at GCSU and he won't be too far? Blake's really going to be a doctor?

I want to tell the whole world. I am so so so proud of him!

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

Juli!! That is GREAT news!!! Please tell Blake CONGRATULATIONS for me!.............is he sure he doesn't wanna be a chiropractor???

amy.miele2 said...

Yay for Blake! Have tons of fun in Sweden! I want to hear all about it when you get back!

Harvey Globetrotters said...

Oh, wow! I am so happy for both of you! And especially Blake...Congratulations! This makes Sweeden that much more of a celebration. Hope you guys have a blast over there and I can't wait to see pictures when you get back!

Harvey Globetrotters said...
This comment has been removed by the author.