Before I came over here, I packed a bag of clothes I hadn't worn in over a year and a couple pairs of shoes I had only worn once. I wasn't sure if I would come across another little girl who could fit them, but worst case scenario I would hand them off to the orphanage director and she would distribute them among the little girls. I had a few dresses and flowery skirts, and among the mix were a pair of metallic gold slippers. Surely, they would make someone's day.

Today I worked with the older kids, which had 2 girls within the class. One of the girls is twelve years old and shows signs of autism. She has a beautiful smile. I looked down at her feet and thought that just maybe she would fit my shoes. I brought the gold ones into the room and handed them over to her. Her face lit up, and I bent down to put them on. I couldn't believe how perfectly they fit her. It was like Cinderella. Ha. She was so cute because she wanted to take one picture after the other of her wearing her gold shoes. The shiny material was definitely something that kept her attention. For the next 10 minutes, she was sitting on the floor, tapping together her feet and saying (in her own language), "my new shoes... my new shoes..."

I wish I had gold slippers to give every single orphan just so I could see another smile like that.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Thanks for sharing that heart-warming experience with us, Juli. Praying for you.

Epi.Chooses.Joy said...

Me too...

Harvey Globetrotters said...

keep touchin peoples lives :)